1015 Mariposa Avenue
Neighborhood: Equidistant to the Best of North Berkeley!
1015 Mariposa was the beloved home of this family for over sixty years, enjoyed by multiple generations. This home has outstanding karma! Beautiful period details blend with extensive updates in this gracious Colonial. The main level features an unusually spacious living room and dining room, and a classic spindled staircase. Over the years the family invested in thoughtful upgrades, including all dual-pane windows, an energy upgrade, seismic retrofitting and two architect-designed enhancements. The home was expanded in the mid-1990’s to add a flexible suite, which can be used either as a family room, or an exceptional, and accessible master bedroom suite with ADA compliant bathroom. It opens to the patio and expansive, park-like fenced garden, which offers mature trees and wonderful privacy. More recently a period-appropriate bathroom remodel was completed upstairs, where you’ll also find three bright bedrooms with handsome vistas, one with peek-of-the-bay views. The back-facing bedroom has charming original built-ins. This home has enjoyed a recent kitchen remodel with new oak floors, counters and all new appliances, as well as interior painting, refinished floors, and new lighting throughout.
Mariposa is one of the most coveted single blocks in North Berkeley, a broad, tree-lined enclave of single-family homes known as a destination on Halloween! Equidistant to the myriad amenities on Solano Avenue, Monterey/Hopkins, as well as Gourmet Ghetto, this location is hard to beat!
Recent 2019 Features include:
- New quartz counters, stainless steel appliances, sink and faucet, pulls and new lighting and floors in the kitchen
- New quartz counter, faucet and floors in the convenient half-bath downstairs
- New paint throughout
- Refinished hardwood floors
- New interior lighting
- Approx. 22 x 23 ft flexible-use suite added with radiant heat beneath ceramic tiles
- Adjoining ADA-compliant multi-section bathroom with spacious shower
- Period-appropriate upstairs bathroom remodel with Kohler plumbing fixtures, Restoration Hardware lighting and accessories
- Upstairs access to attic with added platform for storage
- Rebuilt front stairs and installed new walkway, and front hardscaping
- Dual-pane true divided-lite windows and French doors
- Separate tiled laundry area
- Hi-efficiency water heater, with separate tank for radiant heat
- Trane 97% efficient furnace with wireless thermostat
- Electrical system upgraded
- Plumbing upgraded with low-flow fixtures and copper pipes
- Energy upgrade completed, including attic (R-38) and floors with denim insulation
- Sewer lateral compliant
- Front foundation wall replacement and seismic retrofitting
- Installed patio and garden retaining walls; reshaped park-like back garden
- Convenient storage building. Perhaps finish it out as a studio, or writer’s space?
This exceptionally convenient location enjoys easy access to the best of North Berkeley neighborhoods, on a very special and beautiful block!
According to public records, this house completed in 1937 occupies 2274 sq ft on a lot of 8500 sq ft.
For details about the family that lived here and loved this home through multiple generations, take a closer look at the letter below.